The National Integration Council (NIC) was set-up in April 2009 to drive integration efforts in a comprehensive, sustainable and ground-up manner through the partnership of the public, people and private (3P) sectors. In promoting integration, the NIC seeks to:
- Increase awareness of the importance of integration for our continued success as a society and nation
- Help newcomers adapt to the Singaporean way of life, including helping them better understand local cultures and social norms
- Grow common spaces and provide platforms for Singaporeans and new immigrants to interact
- Facilitate the formation of friendships and shared experiences among Singaporeans and non-locals, so as to foster mutual understanding and acceptance through their interactions
- Foster and deepen emotional attachment and a sense of belonging to Singapore among new immigrants
Singapore’s approach to integration does not demand that new immigrants abandon their own beliefs and culture. Rather, we expect them to share commonalities, values and experiences with fellow Singaporeans so that we can all work together to achieve our aspirations and build the best home for ourselves and our children.